apt-get upgrade vs synaptic

Brian Cluff brian at snaptek.com
Thu Apr 2 08:36:57 MST 2015

The package system works by copying the database of available software
from the server to your computer.  At that moment all your packaging
software knows about is what is in it's local copy of the database.

You probably did one upgrade in synaptic based on a slightly older
version of the package database, and when that was done you got a fresh
copy of the database and were then able to upgrade to all the changes
that were made during the time between the first and second time you
downloaded the database.

It's also possible that there were simply new programs added while you
were doing the first upgrade.  There is so much software in the
repositories that it's extremely likely they are any moment something
you have loaded is getting updated.

Brian Cluff