Having fun with KVM

Michael Butash michael at butash.net
Fri Sep 26 08:13:09 MST 2014

I asked a buddy that does more windoze admin, and he said that oem
licenses are not transferable, and their legalese seemed to say the same
thing seeing how transferable it is.  This means (to me at least) even
into a vm, where the "hardware spec" changes, and will throw validation
(ie. technically t thinks you are pulling a fast one to relocate it to a
new pc... sorta).  I've not challenged the notion to call them and deal
with their activation sweatshop, ymmv.

I tried this with win7, doing a p2v on an old laptop into vmware
workstation, and activation kicked immediately calling me a dirty
pirate, even though I've bought more than enough laptops with licenses
(it included) and never used them.  So I just pirated a copy off usenet
due to their draconian restrictions with activation gutted - problem solved.

It just makes me hate them more seeing you can't even use a purchased
copy on the system you bought if it is just in a hypervisor to demote it
to test system (as it should be).  How dare you!

This other thing with win8 the efi booting, not even sure you can boot
it with a legacy bios, or an old pc.  I figure by this point it's such a
pig, it won't work effectively on an old system anyways to be worth the
hassle...  Rather just stay with my old slipstreamed xp image from 10
years ago as it's only good for visio to me regardless.

-mb