Installation frustrations

Michael Butash michael at butash.net
Tue Sep 23 07:12:13 MST 2014

I'll second (or forth) for mint debian edition.

I've had some quirks, usual crap with i386 vs amd64 architecture,
libssl0.98, but most have been pretty easy to figure out with a google
search.  Far less frustrating than with ubuntu, but a bit of a new
learning curve none the less with debian.

One thing I haven't figured out on mint is why X will consume 32gb of my
32gb of ram until it swaps to death on my desktop.  I'm pretty sure it
has to do with the fglrx blob for amd/ati cards, but rather annoying at
the moment as it timebombs in under a week.  Ubuntu would die in 2 days
with compiz enabled, or less, so I'm less annoyed with Mint or Debian,
more with AMD.

Getting support out of AMD for linux seems to require an act of some
deity to fix their shite drivers.  :\

-mb