Ubuntu

Stephen Partington cryptworks at gmail.com
Thu Sep 11 07:44:58 MST 2014

I am a big fan of UEFI secure boot from the context of security. I am not a
fan that the industry let MS set the rules. I think form the perspective of
securing your firmware/bios and making a secure chain boot handoff to an OS
with full disk encryption it will significantly reduce the shenanigans that
can be performed on your mobile computing devices and even slow down
rootkits for a while.

But unfortunately that did not happen and MS dictated the rules. The linux
world can easily catch up and more but there seems to be a resistance to it
that i am unsure of how to put my finger on nor have i yet seen the real
logic of the resistance except that it is an MS baby now.

On Thu, Sep 11, 2014 at 7:25 AM, John J. Macey <jjmacey at gmail.com> wrote:

>   I'd rather just move it to a vm under linux until it can be jettisoned
> later.
>

> I would go with Michael's idea. I use Virtualbox to play M$ 7, and it *boots
> far, far faster* than a stand alone M$ machine.
>
> John
>

> On 09/11/2014 10:20 AM, Michael Butash wrote:
>
> I think Stephen's spell check meant UEFI not Jedi, but his star-wars
> propensities won.
>
> You should be able to get ubuntu working with secureboot, but I've never
> done a dual boot personally.  Make sure you look at it from the UEFI
> perspective.  As Stephen also indicted, you can set to boot in "legacy
> mode" too, but that will break windoze ability to secureboot.
>
> Thank microsoft and their for making cronie hardware oem's have to protect
> their crappy os from infection (and replacement).  I'd rather just move it
> to a vm under linux until it can be jettisoned later.
>
> -mb
>

> On 09/10/2014 10:08 PM, Stephen Partington wrote:
>
> If it is newer hardware with Jedi secured boot, the you will need to make
> sure that the Jedi firmware is configured to allow an so besides windows.
>
> On Wednesday, September 10, 2014, Seth Jones <roleplayerseth at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Trying to install Ubuntu alongside Windows 8. I have a properly formatted
>> install disc and have followed the included instructions, but no matter
>> what I try, my computer still boots to Windows. Can anyone help?

> Stephen

Stephen