Boot partition

James Mcphee jmcphe at gmail.com
Wed Sep 3 15:34:44 MST 2014

BIOS points to first block of the disk.  First block of the disk (MBR)
points at secondary boot loader (grub or LILO or syslinux...  whatever).
 That will point at the device that you mount as boot as its initial root.
 What you see as root in your running system is loaded after that and you
then mount in /boot what was initially the root during the bootstrap
process.

Oh, your numbers on the end.  Use 1 2 for boot.  The fs passno (the last
number) for root should be 1, and for normal filesystems should be 2.  0
(or blank) means don't check as part of the fstab stuffs.

sorry for the ramblingness

On Tue, Sep 2, 2014 at 8:05 PM, Michael Havens <bmike1 at gmail.com> wrote:

> I am assuming that everything is cool with LFS up to this point and am
> thinking that I am going to create a boot partition. I do have 1 or 2
> questions about this though before we proceed. First:
>
> does every Linux distro search for the boot partition first?
>
> then
>
> when modifying fstab what do I put into it for the options? Here is the
> current lfs fstab
>
> /dev/sda6      /            ext4     defaults            1     1
> /dev/sda7      swap         swap     pri=1               0     0
> proc           /proc        proc     nosuid,noexec,nodev 0     0
> sysfs          /sys         sysfs    nosuid,noexec,nodev 0     0
> devpts         /dev/pts     devpts   gid=5,mode=620      0     0
> tmpfs          /run         tmpfs    defaults            0     0
> devtmpfs       /dev         devtmpfs mode=0755,nosuid    0     0
>
> my only guess would be:
>
> <boot partition>  /boot  ext4    defaults  1   1

James McPhee
jmcphe at gmail.com