(OT) Questions About SSDs for a Laptop

Jon Kettenhofen subs at kexsof.com
Tue Sep 2 12:33:00 MST 2014

IMO, get the SSD but also install the hard drive, if the laptop allows
it (otherwise try iCloud? :-) ), that will act as a backup.  Separately,
neither may be more reliable than the other but you will be safer.
And faster.
So back up frequently.

For even faster *desktop* performance, shell out the big bucks for a
PCI-E board mounted SSD.  At 16x, PCI-E is reputed to handle more
bandwidth than SATA or SCSI.  I've seen Windows XP boot (completely) in
10 seconds with instant access to just about everything except the
internet (which varies with ISP connection . . . )

Smaller PCI-E drives (256GB) are now available for a reasonable price,
that being around $1/GB, but the fastest - OZC Revo - are still pricey.

Not to be a wet blanket, but nearly all drives fail.
After I read the descriptions of the engineering used to give storage
drives more room (i.e. more gigabytes and terrabytes) my faith was a
little shaken.  An article in Tom's Hardware hit home (2011) but still
holds some credence and that is that if you look at the reviews of SSD's
at newegg dot com, then you will realize that perhaps no storage
technology is perfect.  More to the point, YMMV.  Although sellers do
their best to weed out fake reviews, some of them do make it through and
the purpose of those fake reviews can be either to support or
disprespect the product or manufacturer.

Recently,
Some publications have revealed that many brands of SSDs will fail if
the power is abruptly removed, as in a plug or battery removal while the
unit is running, or the computer has a catastrophic failure like a fatal
motherboard burnout.   The story is that so far only certain Intel SSD's
can consistently survive this scenario.

Nevermind.
Most of us will probably never see that happen.  Storage technology is
complicated with much error-correction circuitry in place and in
constant use.  To see an example, check the output of the SMART
technology built into any of your drives that are directly connected to
your IDE/ATA and SATA (whatever you have) busses.  There is/are some
good apps in Linux to show you this. The bottom line is that every disk
access is checked and error-corrected because (read and write) errors
happen all the time.  They just usually get fixed in the process.

Some interesting, if perhaps scary, links:
http://www.extremetech.com/computing/173887-ssd-stress-testing-finds-intel-might-be-the-only-reliable-drive-manufacturer
  (Jan. 3, 2014)
http://www.anandtech.com/show/4202/the-intel-ssd-510-review/3 (Mar. 2, 2011)
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ssd-reliability-failure-rate,2923.html