wired network security

Bob Holtzman holtzm at cox.net
Fri Oct 31 15:46:12 MST 2014

On Wed, Oct 22, 2014 at 09:13:10PM -0700, Stephen Partington wrote:
> well you might want to turn it on. because you are now an open AP
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wireless_security

Extremely sorry to be so late getting back on this. Life intrudes.

Interesting link. Unfortunately it deals exclusively with wireless
security. Did I miss something?

My initial impression was that the router's encryption covered all
signals passing thru it, wired and wireless. I now think that it only
covers b'cast signals, leaving the wired network unprotected. Yes/no?
Been scouring the i'net but find nothing about activating security for
wired connections short of using ssh or maybe vpn.

Any help, clarifications, pointers, etc?

--
Bob Holtzman
Giant intergalactic brain-sucking hyperbacteria