liksys WRT54G

Michael Havens bmike1 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 22 13:33:32 MST 2014

Are these the instructions? It does seem easy! He says we should the 8.09
but gives us the link to the 10.03. Should I use the 10.03 or look for the
8,.09? What are the benefits of brcm-47xx over brcm-2.4?
Using the Linksys web GUI

It is possible to install OpenWrt directly with the Linksys web GUI. If you
are initially installing OpenWrt use the Linksys web GUI, this is the
easiest way.

   - Download the openwrt-wrt54g-squashfs.bin firmware image from the
   brcm-2.4 folder to your PC.
   - You can find that image at:
   http://downloads.openwrt.org/backfire/10.03.1/brcm-2.4/
   - Actually the safest version to use would be *8.09*. *Hmmm, it looks
   like 10.03.1 is safe but you must use the brcm-2.4 variant like in the link
   above*. I am not risking bricking my router for the initial flash, so I
   am going with *8.09*.
   - Open http://192.168.1.1/Upgrade.asp in your browser or manually go to
   http://192.168.1.1 → Administration → Firmware Upgrade
   - Upload openwrt-wrt54g-squashfs.bin
   - Wait 2 minutes. The router will reboot itself automatically after the
   upgrade is complete.
   - Your router should now be telnettable at 192.168.1.1. The web
   interface luci is also available athttp://192.168.1.1 . Telnet is
   disabled and ssh is enabled once a password has been set.
   - Type these commands out in telnet/ssh. This is to ensure that tftp is
   available, in case your router gets bricked.

nvram set boot_wait=on
nvram set boot_time=10
nvram set wait_time=10 #important for some models
nvram commit && reboot

   - *You're done!* At this point, you are free to continue using brcm-2.4.
   However, if you wish to use brcm47xx, proceed below.
   - Download the image openwrt-brcm47xx-squashfs.trx here:
   http://downloads.openwrt.org/backfire/10.03.1/brcm47xx/
   - Upload using luci at System > Flash Firmware
   - *OR*, you can simply ssh into the router,

cd /tmp
wget http://downloads.openwrt.org/backfire/10.03.1/brcm47xx/openwrt-brcm47xx-squashfs.trx
sysupgrade /tmp/openwrt-brcm47xx-squashfs.trx

   - Wait for the router to reboot and login! In case you somehow found out
   that you can't telnet, then ssh should be possible since your previous
   settings before flashing remained (unless you usedsysupgrade -n)
   -