Hardware question

coverturtle coverturtle at gmail.com
Sun Oct 19 21:26:04 MST 2014

David,
With the advent of USB 3.0, Firewire not so much.

Mobile devices are mostly relegated to take the place of the
old-fashioned terminals of the past
while mainframe computers have become a network of servers and virtual
servers called clouds.

Still there is a need for performance and local storage which the
traditional architecture cannot
provide.  This is provided for gamers as you have indicated but also for
the financial industry
in which individuals manipulate their stock portfolios and for certain
competitive small businesses.
Other markets include individuals who value privacy, and illicit
activity which desires to keep
data secure and off the grid.  The market is small but the demand is fierce.

This has also created and will continue to create for some time, a large
surplus of used desktops
and workstations which may be had cheaply.   10-year old PowerMac G5
towers and and Dell Precision
workstations and early MacPro Towers can be had for almost 10% of
original cost and are quite
capable desktops for many tasks not demanding the latest technology.

Note that DDR2 DRAM has become more expensive than DDR3 even though very
few DDR2 machines are still
being manufactured or sold.

Jon
-------------------------------(I'll fix that indenting soon. sorry)

Desktops seem to be fading fast.

Mostly you find all-in-one computers these days, plus laptops/notebooks
and tablets.

Seems the only people interested in discrete computers are gamers who
want to be able to constantly upgrade individual components.

That’s not to say there isn’t a ton of hardware around. Just that the
market is shrinking fast.

These days, everything is connected by SATA, USB, Firewire, HDMI, and
WiFi, rather than backplanes and ribbon cables.

-David

On Oct 19, 2014, at 1:35 PM, Stephen M <smelheim85 at gmail.com