liksys WRT54G

koder iscreamkid at gmail.com
Sun Oct 19 19:14:13 MST 2014

The terms LAN, WAN, MAN, HAN and such are used very sloppily.
They can be used to designate the physical (geographical) area covered
by the network.

Most of them were developed in the early networking days when computers
and communication equipment was expensive and the physical distances you
could communicate over were limited.

Technically, that little Linksys gadget you can hold in your hands is a
LAN server, because the cabling that it will drive can only go a short
distance. Its input comes from a WAN. In today's case that would most
likely, but not necessarily the Intenet.

In your case you have chosen to put your LAN server between your LAN and
your true server at your Internet Service Provider. In addition, as I
understand it you have an additional modem server further dividing
things up.

If you care Wikipedia has a nice article that will tell more than you
want to know.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wide_area_network

HM