liksys WRT54G

coverturtle coverturtle at gmail.com
Sun Oct 19 10:24:20 MST 2014

Michael,
Here's what to do:
Disconnect all network cables from the router that you want to connect
to and then
run an ethernet cable with the RJ-45 connectors (should be a good
cable!) from a LAN port to the computer.
If you don't get an IP address from the DHCP on the router, then pull
the power cable on the router,
leave the router off for about 30 seconds and then plug the power back
in and wait for the router
lights to come on indicating that the router is fully booted.  If you
have DHCP set on your computer,
you should be able to connect to the router.  I don't know the brand of
router you are using but it's
probably using an address of 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.0.1.   If you get a
DHCP address on your computer,
you will be able to tell the address of the router unless it starts with
169.xxxxx which means that
there is not a connection.  If you get a 169.xxxx address, then reboot
the computer and check again.

Once you have a DCHP address, then the address to type in the browser is
the same as your DHCP address
EXCEPT the last number should be 1 (one):  xxx.xxx.xxx.1   - like so.
This should give you a connection
UNLESS this is SECOND router and it has taken it's address from the
first router.   In that case, make sure
you have disconnected the WAN cable from the second router and reboot it
by power cycling.  No need to
factory reset the router if you know the password.  It should connect
OK.  When connected, make sure you
find the menu item that allows you to set the router up as a repeater or
a bridge.  If you set it up as a
bridge, then the xxx.xxx.xxx.1 address will be for router number one.
The second router will have a DHCP
address assigned by the first router.  You will need to access the first
router in order to determine
the DHCP address of router.

Here's the gotcha:  for security reasons router manufacturers program
the firmware to initialize routers only
with physical ethernet/network cable connected to a single computer.  So
if you have trouble with the router,
you need to isolate it from the network and use only a single computer
(and maybe a WAN/internete connection).

It's rather tedious for both of us to type back and forth because I
don't know exactly what you are doing or how
your network (LAN) is connected so let me know if you want to use a
skype connection.  My Skype name is
jonkettenhofen BUT I have blocked all but friends so you will need to
let me know what your skype name is.
Allowing me to see your setup will make setup go faster, easier and I'll
be able to help you clear up your
understanding of your home network (hopefully!)  It's up to you.

Hope that helps some,
Jon

''

I got a problem. I'm trying to update it but can't get into the
configuration page (192.168.1.1). I tried resetting the device (I
depressed the reset button for 65 seconds) but to no avail. Any ideas?Â

On Sun, Oct 19, 2014 at 12:52 AM, Michael Butash <michael at butash.net