liksys WRT54G

koder iscreamkid at gmail.com
Fri Oct 17 22:27:45 MST 2014

Mike,

I have the same device in my networking system. My answer may not be
100% correct, but here is my SWAG:

The device was designed to serve as a router with DHCP server
capabilities, in other words it hands out IP addresses to requests that
come from one of the output ports.

You can access the device using its web page and turn that feature off,
it then acts as a bridge router and the DHCP functioning will come from
further upsteam, from your other router.

The network will not function correctly if you have two different
devices trying to pass out IP addresses using DHCP. Everything pretty
much quits talking to each other.

While I have never tried using the device by plugging everything only
into the output ports, I am guessing that connection setup would use the
device as a bare dumb switch. No more double DHCP, only happy connectivity.

I am reasonably sure my explanation is not technically correct, but is
functional. I was quite loose with input, output, upstream, and
downstream analogies, but that is the way I think of them.

By the way on a separate item, it is my understanding that most of these
devices are hacked and infected and should be either upgraded, or
replaced. I have yet to do either, but I think that is the case.

HM