internet problem

Michael Havens bmike1 at gmail.com
Fri Oct 17 09:25:40 MST 2014

I was trying to learn what the internet port is for and read this on
wikipedia:

The original *WRT54G* was first released in December 2002. It has a 4+1
port network switch <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Network_switch> (the
Internet/WAN port is part of the same internal network switch, but on a
different VLAN <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VLAN>).

I don't understand . Could someone explain it to me?