self signed cert on CentOS 6.5

techlists at phpcoderusa.com techlists at phpcoderusa.com
Thu Oct 16 20:54:17 MST 2014

Hi,

I have a local LAMP box I use for development running CentOS 6.5.

I created a self signed cert as follows:

# Generate private key
openssl genrsa -out ca.key 2048

# Generate CSR
openssl req -new -key ca.key -out ca.csr

# Generate Self Signed Key
openssl x509 -req -days 365 -in ca.csr -signkey ca.key -out ca.crt

I then moved the cert files to /etc/http/config.d/
I Then verified the ssl.conf file and restarted httpd.

I am using this cert for multiple local dev sites with no problem in
FireFox (I add the exception).

When I use Internet explorer it say "Mismatched Address" even if I add
it to the trusted sites list.

I have 4 or 5 websites that need to be developed and tested on the
secured port.

Do I need to create a cert for each website?  Or can I create a wild
card cert that I can use on all of them?

I followed a website that said I needed to add a section as seen below
to openssl.cnf along with a couple other changes.

[alt_names]
DNS.1 = kb.example.com
DNS.2 = helpdesk.example.org
DNS.3 = systems.example.net
IP.1 = 192.168.1.1
IP.2 = 192.168.69.14

I modified the above lines to match what I need.  The new cert works
just like the old cert requiring I add the exception in FF and IE does
not like the cert at all. The main problem is I am not able to test my
login code on IE - it continues to fail while in FF after adding the
exception for the cert the login on my test site works as expected.

Any suggestions are much appreciated.

Thank you for your help!!
Keith