fail2ban VS. denyhost

jill lists at bespokess.com
Wed Oct 15 13:52:01 MST 2014

I would point out that fail2ban is a script that scours auth.log (as root) for failed authentications, parses out the source host field, then runs iptables (as root) to add rules for that host.  Especially in light of things like shell shock, think what an attacker could do with a crafted packet that caused that log line to include malicious commands in the host field.  You're better off properly hardening sshd itself.

White list in hosts.allow client ips/domains you will be connecting from and block all others if at all possible.
Set your sshd_config to:
Never ever allow root login.  Ever.
Whitelist explicitly what users/groups can connect on ssh.
Disable password-based auth and use keys, protect the heck out of your private key.

-Jill