python

James Dugger james.dugger at gmail.com
Sat Oct 11 17:33:32 MST 2014

Plus 1 for Code Academy.  The 13 Lessons are broken down into sub lessons
so there are between 22 and 24 total lessons/exercises that must be
completed to move on with the course.  You learn by doing which is the only
way to really learn programing.  The thing about Code Academy is that it is
entirely free, there are no adds and if you get stuck at any point you can
ask a question and get a response as well as see the questions from
others.  Your course work is saved so you can go back and review your work
at any time.  I'm not knocking other courses, books etc. I have several
python books.  But Code academy takes a beginner with no programing and by
the last Lesson set you will be using Python to build classes in object
oriented programing.  It may not be as exhaustive as other courses but you
will have a good feel for the basics of the language.

It doesn't cost you anything to try it out and even if it isn't as in depth
as other courses I would argue for a beginner it is very well balanced
giving you the general concepts of all programing languages as applied to
python.  If you feel you need more, than at least you have a solid base in
the language that cost you just your own time.

On Sat, Oct 11, 2014 at 3:22 PM, Kevin Fries <kevin at fries-biro.com> wrote:

> %s will be the placeholder for a string and %d for a number.  If you used
> say 15 as the value, and the template is %s you will get 15.to_s and is the
> value was "15" and the template was %d, the value will be "15".to_i.  In
> other words it will try to do the appropriate conversion.  So given your
> example it worked.  But let's say your template was %d, if you pass as a
> value 15 or "15" that would work, but "fifteen" will throw an error.  %s
> will work, in all cases, but may not be what you want.
>
> HTH
> Kevin
> On Oct 11, 2014 1:35 PM, "Michael Havens" <bmike1 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Well, I've decided to try to learn python. Right now I'm on 'format
>> string'.So there are different ones, right? Well, I'm working with %d and
>> %s right now and if I change the %d to a %s I get the same result when I
>> run the program. My question  is %x just a place holder or do they have
>> special meanings?

James

*Linkedin <http://www.linkedin.com/pub/james-h-dugger/15/64b/74a/>*