StartUp Scripts

Michael Butash michael at butash.net
Fri Oct 10 18:22:56 MST 2014

CUPS is technically ok, it binds to 127.0.0.1 only by default, only
reachable via localhost/loopback.

I'm more annoyed by things like skype and banshee that insist on opening
wide-open listening sockets on all interfaces.

Skype is microsoft, one really can't trust anything they do since the
first thing after acquisition was remove security features and removing
decentralization (probably capitulation to .gov to allow blackbox
sniffing to allow the acquisition), but sadly is almost a necessary evil
to deal with the outside world now or I'd simply refuse as I had for
years.  I just assume the open socket is to allow the nsa to direct
connect and listen (assuming nat/firewalls don't restrict this).

Banshee, not really sure why it's opening a socket.  I don't usually
expect music player authors to understand well network security aspects,
one can only hope they understand at least enough to mitigate remote
code exploits via it.

What's listening openly on your system?

sudo netstat -anp | egrep 'tcp|udp' | grep LIST

Anything NOT bound only to 127.0.0.1 is exposed when not hiding behind a
firewall or host.allow.

-mb