memory

Carruth, Rusty Rusty at smartm.com
Thu Oct 9 09:41:47 MST 2014

Michael – Wow, I’m glad Mark thought to check the max memory for the computer!  (Thanks, Mark!)

So, what Mark said.

The only thing I’d add is to modify ‘get the fastest memory you can afford’ to something like ‘get as much memory as your computer can hold, as fast as possible’.  There is a tradeoff here – if you have enough memory to keep your computer from swapping/paging/whatever-ing to and from disk then speed of ram matters.  If, however, you don’t have enough memory to keep the majority of ‘active’ programs in memory so you don’t need to go read them from the disk before they can run – well, then faster is better for those things in memory, but as soon as the disk transfer gets slower than the execution speed your faster ram is useless.  Or at least doesn’t help as much as it should. IMHO, of course ;-)