apt-get v aptitude

Michael Butash michael at butash.net
Sun Nov 23 22:33:22 MST 2014

On 11/23/2014 12:32 PM, Brian Cluff wrote:
> I've used both, but only aptitude has managed to screw up my systems
> more than once, so I stick with apt now.  The nice thing is that apt
> had picked up all the features that I used to use aptitude for.
I've also had aptitude fix mine, when dpkg ends up with unresolvable
errors.  Mint Debian managed to implode the dpkg installs itself almost
constantly for the while I used it on my desktop, and less commonly
ubuntu will as well, and occasionally will resort try aptitude since it
can provide alternative "scenarios" to resolve conflicts vs. "duh, me
broken now" that apt will resort to when funky.  These if you actually
read the resolution options, they tend to give you want you want within
a few, but make an informed decision when using.

As well, it's managed to mangle things worse at times too when I hadn't
made the right choice.  Probably the worst issue with debian-based
systems still, when dpkg attacks (or breaks).