fragmentation and linux

Bryan O'Neal Bryan.ONeal at TheONealAndAssociates.com
Tue Nov 18 21:04:09 MST 2014

Kinda...
Several points to bring up to keep the flame wars to a minimum.
It depends on your file system.
Journalled file systems are less prone to fragmentation.
All files systems have some vulnerability to fragmentation.
Modern Linux file systems can be defragmted.
The discussion is mostly moot on on solid state drives.
Depending on your RAID the discussion can also be rendered mostly moot.
Ext3 fragmentation was a big problem in my world once upon a time. Now I
use kvm on top of raid (10 or 5) on top of SSDs. Now I don't care much.

Flame away :)