How to install eclipse? (which one?)

joe at actionline.com joe at actionline.com
Wed Nov 5 17:52:56 MST 2014

How can I determine which eclipse option to install on my Linux system?

When I go to the Linux Mint synaptic package repository and search for
eclipse, I see a list of about 50 files as shown in this jpg:
http://www.upquick.com/temp/synaptic.eclipse.jpg ... How could anyone
know which of all these file(s) should be installed?

When I visit: https://www.eclipse.org/downloads/
I see all these options:

Eclipse Luna (4.4.1) Release for Linux
- Eclipse IDE for Java Developers
The essential tools for any Java developer, including a Java IDE,
a CVS client, Git client, XML Editor, Mylyn, Maven integration. Linux 32
Bit
- Eclipse IDE for Java EE Developers
- Eclipse IDE for C/C++ Developers
- Eclipse for PHP Developers
- Eclipse IDE for Eclipse Committers 4.4.1
- Eclipse IDE for Java and DSL Developers
- Eclipse IDE for Java and Report Developers
- Eclipse Modeling Tools
- Eclipse for Parallel Application Developers
- Eclipse for Testers
- Eclipse for RCP and RAP Developers
- Eclipse for Scout Developers

How would anyone know which one to choose?

When I type 'eclipse' at the command line, I see this:

The program 'eclipse' is currently not installed.
You can install it by typing:
sudo apt-get install eclipse-platform

Which of these myriad options should I choose?