sshd time out

Keith Smith techlists at phpcoderusa.com
Tue Nov 4 13:17:33 MST 2014

Thank you to those of you who replied.  Interesting experience.

I was uploading a data dump into MySql. My "Konsole" did not show any
activity for about an hour and a half. Then I get the message "Write
failed: Broken pipe".

This morning I erased the database I had uploaded last night because
there was no way to tell if the import was complete.

The import was about 600MB.

Last night I had added "ServerAliveInterval 5" to my sshd config.

This morning when I did the upload it took about 3 minutes. It looks
like all the data is there.  That means my shell must have been hung for
well over an hour.

Thanks again for all the ideas and feedback!!

Keith

On 2014-11-04 10:40, der.hans wrote:
> Am 04. Nov, 2014 schwätzte Keith Smith so:
>
> moin moin Keith,
>
>> Last night I shelled into a web server I am working on and issue the
>> command to upload data into MySql from the command line.  The process
>> took about an hour and a half.
>>
>> Then I received the message "Write failed: Broken pipe".  In
>> researching, apparently sshd timed out.
>>
>> I'm guessing the process completed...  But how would I know?
>
> Check MySQL to see if all of the data loaded.
>
> The ssh connection was killed, so you don't know how the shell did.
>
> If you need to run long commands on remote systems, use screen or tmux
> on
> the remote system. That will keep the shell running even if the network
> connection is killed. It also allows you to reconnect to the shell.
>
> screen -S mysession # Start a screen session named mysession
> screen -x mysession # reconnect to the screen session named mysession
>
> <ctrl>-a d # disconnect from an active screen session
>
> If you already run screen locally you can either run screen within
> screen
> or you can start a new xterm, then connect out.
>
> I also recommend the ServerAliveInterval, but I set it to 5 minutes. I
> used that for all ssh connections.
>
> ServerAliveInterval 300
>
> ciao,
>
> der.hans