sshd time out

Matt Graham mhgraham at crow202.org
Tue Nov 4 09:32:44 MST 2014

On 2014-11-04 07:10, Keith Smith wrote:
> command to upload data into MySql from the command line.  The process
> took about an hour and a half.
> Then I received the message "Write failed: Broken pipe".  In
> researching, apparently sshd timed out.

Many networking appliances that do NAT close connections after a period
of inactivity.  This period usually ranges from 30 to 120 minutes, and
may not be adjustable.  This is why I have keepalive.sh in my ~/bin/ :

#!/bin/sh
while true ; do
    echo -n '.'
    sleep 300
    done

...start whatever's going to take a long time in the background, then
start keepalive.sh in the foreground, connection won't drop.

> I'm guessing the process completed...  But how would I know?

Check the mysql DB for the last row in the dump you were loading, of
course.

--
Crow202 Blog: http://crow202.org/wordpress
There is no Darkness in Eternity