DHCPed ip addresses

Rusty Ramser rusty_ramser at hotmail.com
Mon Nov 3 20:51:53 MST 2014

If your virtual machines are configured with external virtual network adapters*, you’re exactly right.  The hardware-based MAC of your PC/laptop isn’t going to change, but virtual machines will get new MAC addresses (different from the physical host) for their virtual network adapters you create.

Cheers.

*  I say “external”, because most virtualization platforms have a variety of configurations for your virtual network adapters.  The most common will be external, where the virtual machines behaves as if it’s a regular system on the network.  Other network configurations may make the IP addresses of the virtual machines completely private, so they don’t appear on the network, or they may NAT through the host as an alternate configuration.  In these other scenarios, your virtual machines wouldn’t be getting a DHCP lease from your router.