url code

Matt Graham mhgraham at crow202.org
Fri May 9 14:20:36 MST 2014

On 2014-05-09 13:19, Michael Havens wrote:
> [I'm using] gmail [and I want to know how to insert a link that
> doesn't look like http://example.com/ into an HTML-formatted message]

You have to be using "rich text" mode.[0]  In the gmail composer's menu
(to the right of the "send" button), there'll be an icon that looks like
a link.  Click that icon (or press Ctrl-K) and you'll get a dialog box.
In the "text to display" part, put the text you'd like to have
displayed, like "a hamster wearing a football helmet".  In the "web
address" part, put a link like
http://crow202.org/2010/hamster_football.jpg .  Push the "OK" button.
You now have a link in your HTML-formatted mail.  The message source
will contain <a href="http://crow202.org/2010/hamster_football.jpg"
target="_blank">a hamster wearing a football helmet</a> . [1]

This is supposed to be an intuitive interface.  Go figure.

[0] This is usually used to spam horrible fonts, colors, background
images, and useless junk, but I guess it can be used to do useful
things.
[1] Experienced folks never, ever just follow a link without checking
where it goes first to make sure it's not link to a RickRoll or
goatse.cx .  DO NOT SEARCH FOR goatse.cx EVER.

--
Crow202 Blog: http://crow202.org/wordpress
There is no Darkness in Eternity