url code

Matt Graham mhgraham at crow202.org
Wed May 7 13:38:39 MST 2014

On 2014-05-07 12:44, Michael Havens wrote:
> How do I I condense long urls ? You know, the 'click here' where the
> 'here' is a link to your address.

If you meant "I want to link to
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59834 (silly post about
the Beige Dragon) but the giantitp link is a whole lot to type.  I'd
rather use something like http://crow202.org/22 ," then you would use a
URL shortener.  There are a bunch of them.  bit.ly and goo.gl are
popular IIRC.  These things usually end up giving you "
http://goo.gl/654321 ", and if you go there, the server there looks up
654321 in a huge table and gives you a 301 redirect to
http://example.com/a/really/huge/long/location/ .

I wrote my own because it was a fairly easy thing to do, and all the
extant publicly-usable URL shorteners almost certainly use tracking
cookies and/or piles of JS garbage.  You probably don't have a webhost
to put a URL shortener on though.

--
Crow202 Blog: http://crow202.org/wordpress
There is no Darkness in Eternity