hyperthreading....

Carruth, Rusty Rusty.Carruth at Smarth.com
Mon May 5 09:25:30 MST 2014

In my past experience, I had noticed that the BOGOMIPS reported on (each of the) hyperthreading enabled CPUs was half that of the same CPU with hyperthreading turned off.  Which made me believe that the 2 CPUs were effectively half the speed of the single one.  (That is, if single is 2 bogomips, then hyperthreaded it was 1 bogomips on each CPU).

Since I knew that Linux did a good job of true multitasking, I always turned it off (assuming that part of the impetus for the whole thing was that Windows did a TERRIBLE job of true multitasking (remember trying to do ANYTHING else while doing a floppy format? Yeah, I thought you did J) so that windows could tie up one of the ‘CPUs’ doing a floppy format (or whatever) and still look responsive to the GUI using the other ‘CPU’.

So, I have to ask a few questions:

1 – does that slow 1.2GHz (SLOW? 1.2G? Wow, how times have changed!) play back fine with hyperthreading turned off?

2 – if XBMC gives a 20% performance boost on a CPU that is running at half the speed, is that really a performance boost overall?  (I’m probably missing something…)

Just wondering J

Rusty