hyperthreading....

Michael Havens bmike1 at gmail.com
Sun May 4 21:35:03 MST 2014

what is it and is it an option in a modern BIOS?
I ask because I got an interesting message on another list othat I
participate in.
[quote]Even though an AGP card may not support vdpau acceleration, a p4
should be able to use the Nvidia driver to get some openGL 2D accelerated
output for XBMC. You should also have hyperthreading turned on in the BIOS,
so the system will see two CPU cores, as XMBC will take advantage of that
for maybe a 20% performance boost. My netbook, with a slow 1.2 GHz
hyperthreaded Intel Atom CPU and 945M graphics, is still able to play back
720p h.264 encoded movies smoothly on MX 14.

Steve (finishing up the packaging of XBMC 13.0, which coincidently was just
released)[/quote]