Wierd Email

Daniel Stasinski daniel at genericinbox.com
Sun May 4 18:34:28 MST 2014

On Sun, May 4, 2014 at 8:47 AM, Mark Phillips <mark at phillipsmarketing.biz>
 wrote:

> Has anyone received an email like this...

Something like this happened to me a few months ago.  I got an email saying
that a domain similar to one of mine was coming up for auction and they
offered to sell it to me outright for $1500.  I did a whois and found out
it wasn't even registered so I immediately went to Godaddy and bought it
for 99 cents.

Two days later I was contacted by someone in Moldova who said they would
pay me $80 for the domain.  I asked for $100 and they then offered $90.  I
sent an invoice for $100 anyway and they immediately paid it and I
transferred the domain to them.

About a week later, I got another email from someone else who was very
emphatic that they wanted the domain for some "big project" and said they
would be willing to pay me up to $5000 for the domain.  I'm guessing this
is part of the overall scam.  They convince me that I sold it way too
cheap, I buy it back from the original buyer for some big amount thinking I
can sell it again for $5000.  The wannabe "buyer"  wrote me often begging
for a reply but I haven't responded.

Since my original buyer has 90 days to get a refund via Paypal by claiming
credit card fraud, I'm waiting for it to happen in the next few weeks.  If
it does happen, I'm only out a buck.

This is why I never use Paypal to sell a valuable domain, but this was just
a social experiment for me.

Daniel