Computer Down Need Help!!

AZ Pete plug at cactusfamily.com
Sun May 4 16:54:47 MST 2014

Hi All,

I thought I'd report back with the resolution to this mess. First of all, thanks to all the helpful suggestions.

My power supply was in fact bad. My power supply was under warranty, but Seasonic doesn't offer advanced shipping so, I had to buy a replacement from Fry's during the shipping of my defective one back to Seasonic.

When I installed the new power supply I bought from Fry's, this led me to discover that my Intel mother board was bad. This particularboard has a post test card built into it and the hex codesweren't even being displayed.The board was still under the 3 year warranty (by a couple months). I called Intel and they advanced shipped me a replacement. After I installed the new mother board, the onboard diagnostics indicated that the CPU was defective. I again called Intel since the CPU was also still under warranty. Again, Intel advanced shipped me a replacement CPU. After I installed the new CPU, the system bootedback to Windows 7. Whoo whoo!

After getting back to "normal", I also discovered that my DVD burner was alsoblown out. No big deal since I hardly use it, but I have one on order from Newegg.

I have to admit that Intel was very good at handling my warranty support and didn't give me the run around in any way. However, I did have to pay $25 to advance ship each part overnight, otherwise it would have taken several days for each item.
The Seasonic power supply, while a great product, had very poor customer service. I wouldn't recommend Seasonic power supplies due to their very poor customer support (no advanced shippingand email only support which took several days for them to respond to).

It was a nightmare couple of weeks, but I'm back to where I was.I'm so glad I had absolutely no data loss(however, I do run my drives in a RAID 1 mirror and take daily and weekly backups).

I've been in IT a long(!) time and the last time I saw this kind of cascade hardware failure on a PC was in the 486 days!

Thanks!
Peter