looking for some project advice for a startup

Carruth, Rusty Rusty.Carruth at Smarth.com
Mon Mar 24 09:02:44 MST 2014

Great words by JD!

When I first started estimating work, I found I was almost always
woefully short, so I started doubling my estimates.  Still short, so I
started multiplying by 4, then by 8 (yes, I was often off by a factor of
8).  Still often short, so I changed to estimating the number of lines
of code I'd write and using that as the number of  hours I'd spend.
Rarely was I short after that.  This DOES, however, require that you
know enough about the project to be able to estimate the number of lines
of code...

One other comment - I once took a fixed-bid contract.  I quit keeping
track of my hours once I was making under $1/hour...

I was off by at LEAST a factor of 20, probably more (this was VERY early
in my contracting life, and I was only charging about $25/hour back 30
or so years ago).  So estimating is hard, and getting the number within
a factor of 2 is probably impossible without a VERY good specification.