Apps on Kubuntu keep crashing

Michael Butash michael at butash.net
Fri Mar 21 17:21:42 MST 2014

Check what java you're using (java -version), might try a sun/oracle
version if not using one already.  Also check what devices you have, and
what dmesg says. That sounds like hardware is flaky, and I've had that
with various usb/pci devices over the years.  Video drivers too.

Pay attention to what apps are doing at the moment when things crash,
like invoking video or sound.  I use 13.10 kubuntu at work, and it's
mostly ok to use, if not for certain annoyances as well around active
directory integration, but not crashing.

I did once with a plantronics savi headset that invoked itself as a usb
sound device, but also as a hid device spewing something xorg didn't
like, took a xorg.d/.conf to ignore the events and device to keep the
desktop from freezing when anything hit the sound device.  Sounds like
yours with skype perhaps (look at pulseaudio logs for this), or probing
a video camera when they init presence of devices.  Otherwise sounds
like your java might suck, or the ver of office.

-mb