Digital Ocean VPS

Michael Butash michael at butash.net
Sat Mar 15 13:49:36 MST 2014

It sounds like dns response isn't working, so sshd delays while trying
to reverse resolve you instead of getting a generic response from the
netblock owner dns (or a simple failure).  You can disable reverse
lookups in sshd.conf too, but it's good to log that sort of thing.  You
will start seeing cracking attempts soon.

Mine logged me in just fine right now, but I have forward and reverse
dns setup for service records and such.  Your local hostname resolution
can also wreak havoc on things if not right forward and reverse,
digitalocean is somewhat particular about this I found.  I just used an
extra domain I hadn't done much with, pointed the dns records at the
domain host, and digitalocean does the reverse.

I use it as a minecraft server, dns service records make it easy then
with forward/reverse.

-mb