Need Help With Slightly Borked Debian Testing System

Ed plug at 0x1b.com
Mon Mar 3 23:55:40 MST 2014

First check if your kernel got updated - it may not have picked up/remained
in sync with the options from your previous kernel. If so, try booting the
old one. Life still upside-down? that was the easy path..

Your update left you with a video driver that can no longer find a GPU -
Gnome3 requires accelerated video, the fallback looks like Gnome2. The
video and mixed-up keyboard(s) leads me to think you are going to have to
clean out your borked*  /etc/X11/xorg.conf & friends. I would put what you
have aside and try a clean regeneration of your X - once you get it
restored to the way you like, back it up  ;)
*your upgrade may have saved your original xorg.conf - look for that too

unless debian does this differently too, Hans?

Going forward, keep in mind that tools like apt & yum support typical
configurations - once you setup a complex configuration, you also need to
be able to recreate it after upgrades (which tend to restore the
conventional)

good luck