Google Domains

Michael Butash michael at butash.net
Wed Jun 25 09:48:40 MST 2014

On 06/25/2014 08:19 AM, Bryan O'Neal wrote:

> Go Daddy's DNA service is one of the best in the world, their DNSSec
> is the best I have ever seen, and they offer a variety of niche items
> like vanity name servers. Plus they often sell domains at a loss and
> the next ten largest competitors for actively served authoritative
> zones don't add up to what they do. Now if Google really becomes a
> competitor I bet Go Daddy would do something to run the tides like
> start offering free premium service or increase thier infrastructure.
> All of which would be amazing.

Like with everything, "free" or "freemium" isn't always free. Godaddy
gets theirs, and that's with marketing.  Stewarding some 55m domains
comes with the added benefit of you steer some part of 98% of the worlds
infrastructure through you at some time or another, whether it's
authoritative dns for the domain, root records, glue, or other.  That's
analytics they sell to microsoft, google, about anyone else they can
sell it out to.

Parkweb that floats the domains when no site is there by default (and
serves, gee, ads go figure) for a large percent of those 55m domains
make for prime real estate for revenue generating trackers and other
things.  So much so Microsoft paid them in partnerships to convert that
from apache to iis back in the day
<http://news.netcraft.com/archives/2006/06/04/june_2006_web_server_survey.html>,
making "iis the most popular server on the internet" at the time per
microsoft marketing jargon released the next day coincidentally.

Now Google wants to snatch the pebble from their hand, one dns to
rule/adword them all, and go to the source to bypass revenue to GD. Most
people already use their *gracious* offer of free dns already, giving
them the data now everything their pc connects a socket to and does a
name lookup on.

GD's infrastructure is actually pretty top notch already.  You'd be
amazed the battering it takes in ddos daily and keeps on ticking. That
bit of DNS latency is infrastructure to keep it ticking...

In full disclosure, I used to work there (twice actually), and know too
much of the dirty laundry, as well as some pride in building that
infrastructure.  :)

-mb