Help with finding Linux apps for editing HTML/Movies/Images

Matt Graham mhgraham at crow202.org
Mon Jun 23 14:15:42 MST 2014

On 2014-06-23 13:25, techlists at phpcoderusa.com wrote:
> 1) Graphics editor

gimp is the most capable image editor available for Linux AFAIK.  There
are other image editors, but I don't think I've used any of them in the
last 15 years.  The problem that a lot of people seem to have with gimp
is that it doesn't work exactly like photoshop.  If gimp doesn't work
for you, you might want to describe why it doesn't work, and then people
could suggest other programs.  I had to Read The Fine Manual before I
could use gimp to do anything at all....

> 2) Movie editor for YouTube style stuff

Don't know; I don't work with movies very much.

> 3) (X)HTML editor - would like a wysiwyg editor where I can look at
> the code and switch views so I can see what the HTML/CSS might look in
> a browser.

Since IE renders HTML differently from Safari, which renders HTML
differently from Firefox, I don't know that WYSIWYG is really *possible*
in this context.  People have tried--I remember the "bluefish" project
at the very least, and there might be a fork of Mozilla Composer
somewhere out there.

What I've usually done here is set up apache running on localhost, put
the HTML files into /home/me/public_html/somewhere/ (if UserDir is
enabled), then point my browser at http://localhost/~me/somewhere/ .
Then I point my text editor at ~/public_html/somewhere/ , make changes,
save the changed files, and push "reload" in the browser.  This is
probably not what you really want to do, but it'll show you *exactly*
what it'd look like in the browser.

--
Crow202 Blog: http://crow202.org/wordpress
There is no Darkness in Eternity