Re: With the Americas running out of IPv4, it’s official: The Internet is full

Ed plug at 0x1b.com
Sat Jun 14 17:44:13 MST 2014

IPv6 will not happen because the telco monopoly uses NAT as a
technical wedge to control their flock of users - with NAT everyone is
just a consumer, if you want to be a first class Internet citizen you
should have your own static IP and be publishing as well as consuming.
Or get happy being the product.  happy happy joy joy

Besides, most Broadband provider networks are not set up to handle
this symmetric kind of traffic, and that certainly isn't the economic
model that is the basis for the telco's monopoly. IPv6 enables
disintermediation [1] in the consumer IT space. Since you are "their"
product, that actually amounts to emancipation - emancipation 2.0 is
going to be a bitch.

If you want IPv6, implement it inside your own networks - someday you
might just get the chance to use it on the Internet - like if Google
fiber comes to your neighborhood.  or have some utility commission
mandate it state wide - and make addresses free for the asking because
there are really that many.

Those who use Cisco deserve what they get - if you want IPv6, look into OpenBSD.
[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disintermediation