Re: With the Americas running out of IPv4, it’s official: The Internet is full

Michael Butash michael at butash.net
Fri Jun 13 20:17:53 MST 2014

Sad part is most technical implementations are still crippled.  Cisco
has put on events at the past several yearly "ipv6 congress" events, and
every year they still general client usage to be problematic in a "pure"
ipv6 environment.  I think last year was apple ios not supporting dhcpv6
various other nuances to the default configurations that were needed to
work around client issues year after year.

Carrier technologies like mpls are still somewhat contingent on ipv4
even, everything else is mostly work-in-progress. Carrier-grade NAT
solutions are expensive and/or still fluid in terms of spec, so most
enterprises, especially around the US are like "we'll get to it when we
have to", and that means at the cost of buying v4 addresses to *not*
change.  Ask a developer how to provide ipv6 services, and I bet they'll
look at you funny too as most haven't even gotten v4 yet.

All it's doing is creating a new ecosystem of supply and demand. Good
thing companies like godaddy have been hoarding them for years, waiting
for the gold rush to begin (like, now <http://www.ipv4auctions.com/>).

-mb