Where to define vhosts

Ed plug at 0x1b.com
Fri Jun 13 15:01:26 MST 2014

In Fedora, if you don't want updates to the app (Apache in this case)
to overwrite your configurations, you put them in /etc/httpd/conf.d
one config file per vhost, and all the other none core config files
(php, perl, dav_svn, etc) - you may need to preface them with numbers
to have them load in the proper order. Some break out all module
invocations into one file and have it be first.

Apache reads the primary config file /etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf and
appends all of the  *.conf files in /etc/httpd/conf.d to make the
complete configuration of your server.

That's how Fedora 20 does it, CentOS might do it that way too.