OT: Windows guru needed (personal)

Stephen Partington cryptworks at gmail.com
Mon Jul 28 21:57:44 MST 2014

Some tips and pointers. With windows never run as an admin except to
install software.this is true of Linux as well but is handled more
gracefully. Also a current antivirus with a known reputation. And use a
secure browser with the ability to shut off 3rd party plugins except when
needed.

This is my quick list.

Further down the line I suggest a backup routine to disk, there are a
number of foss options that can work. Backup to network across the internet
or internally is also a good idea. I have been toying with the idea of
owncloud lately. It's like havering a personally managed Dropbox.

 Some things you can do is sweep file types up into buckets and that can
help find stragglers.

Then run an undelete function. Something like testdisk by grc.

On Monday, July 28, 2014, Michael Havens <bmike1 at gmail.com> wrote:

> surprised she didn't get a ransom letter wit that. sorry that happened.
>
> :-)~MIKE~(-:
>

> On Mon, Jul 28, 2014 at 6:03 PM, Mark Jarvis <m.jarvis at cox.net
> <javascript:_e(%7B%7D,'cvml','m.jarvis at cox.net');>> wrote:
>

>> My wife is running Win 7 on a Dell box. Sometime over the last couple of
>> days the contents of her HD were scrambled. Scores of pictured and
>> documents are scattered throughout the recycle bin and in dozens of spots
>> throughout her file system. It looks like her file structure was hit
>> with a randomizer. At this time there is no telling how much was lost.
>> (With that much damage, I can't believe that it's all there.)
>>
>> Finding and putting things back in a reasonable order is going to to be a
>> major job. She would like to know:
>>
>> 1) what caused it
>>
>> 2) once she collects things, what can be done to prevent it from
>> happening again.
>>
>> Answers will require the help of someone who knows a lot more about
>> Windows than I do.
>>
>> Any help, suggestions, or name recommendations, either on or off list,
>> will be gratefully accepted.
>>
>> Mark Jarvis
>> m.jarvis at cox.net <javascript:_e(%7B%7D,'cvml','m.jarvis at cox.net');>

Stephen