what did I just do?

Brian Cluff brian at snaptek.com
Mon Jul 28 13:42:50 MST 2014

Typing "cd" all by itself always takes you to your home directory.  I
use it all the time to get back home.
Putting a -- usually signals to a program that you have put your last
option and the next item(s) will be a file or something else
"non-optiony".  That allows you to do stuff like:

mkdir -- -test
ls -d -- -test
rmdir -- -test

All of the above commands would fail if you removed the -- because they
would interpret the -test as a(n) option(s).

Anyway, by putting in cd --, all the system saw was cd all by itself
because there wasn't anything after the --

Brian Cluff