Kubuntu or Ubuntu and RAID 1?

Todd Cole toddc at azloco.com
Mon Jul 28 10:38:35 MST 2014

http://www.ubuntu.com/download/alternative-downloads
I use them often at installfests for softraid
I think a lot of stuff got removed when ubuntu got too big to fit on a cd
they did not want to go to  a dvd but after removing non pae they lost
support for machines and had to go to dvd anyway

On Mon, Jul 28, 2014 at 9:35 AM, Michael Butash <michael at butash.net> wrote:

> On 07/28/2014 08:15 AM, Kevin Fries wrote:
>
>> Ubuntu has made themselves the self appointed champion of the stupid IMHO.
>>
> Someone has to adopt the windoze refugees as they flee 20 years of
> perpetual infection.  Friends don't let friends get sucked into apple's
> walled garden.  I dislike the ui and function (and company), I don't really
> get it...
>
> Sad part is, it really was fairly pure before Canonical tried to reinvent
> the wheel with Unity, and moved their platform around it. People didn't
> want a touch-y ui then, windows 8 users hate it forced upon them now.
>  Canonical just made some bad core decisions how to advance the os as a
> distribution, where breaking it off from d-i began to destabilize
> repeatable process for upgrade and sanity control.  No upgrade was ever the
> same or sane after 10.10-ish.
>
>  But...
>>
>> If you are to the point of wanting your system your way, its time to
>> upgrade your distro to something a little more professional.
>>
> I put Arch on my asus laptop, which between the crazy 2880x1800 display
> and nvidia gpu, freaked the heck out of ubuntu to the point even the
> desktop installer was unstable to use.  Why?  Ubuntu team trying to
> composite everything even in the live desktop caused the oss nvidia driver
> to freak.  Having to dissect ubuntu installer to make raid/crypto/lvm go
> for years made Arch a walk in the park, but it was a raring pain.
>
> Automating the process would be an issue I think, where things like d-i
> make pretty sane assumptions to launch systems.  This is where redhat,
> cent, anything deb-based with a solid repo, shine for use in enterprise and
> infrastructure.  Not sure Arch will be there until some folks can script
> the install and make it flexible for disk-based recipes and types of
> installs.  Might as well use rh/deb...
>

>> But Arch is not for amateurs.  I would never put my mom on Arch for
>> example.  This distro expects that you know what you are doing.  But, if
>> you have the skill, you will completely avoid the decision making of Red
>> Hat/Suse/Canonical/etc.  This distro for the most part keeps things very
>> clean, and expects that YOU will tweak things as you desire.
>>
> I got kde installed on Arch as a quick win via the setup howto, but
> everything was a little jacked up, unfinished, and in general missing a lot
> of key packages and setup that I sort of expect from Kubuntu.  I then went
> to install gnome for a base of gtk (most all of the kde was broken using
> anything that required gtk-base, like most everything else), and really
> couldn't figure out how to add a new login option easily to switch between
> (bad lightdm setup?), and it didn't fix entirely the kde using gtk apps
> issue.  This frustrated me immensely, ended up back at ubuntu hacking until
> it sorta worked.
>
> I also wasn't sure how well things like video upgrades ala dkms worked, if
> [...]

Todd Cole
Ubuntu Arizona Team
4605 S PRIEST DR LOT 3
TEMPE AZ  85282-6507