Kubuntu or Ubuntu and RAID 1?

Michael Butash michael at butash.net
Mon Jul 28 06:12:50 MST 2014

This is one of the main reasons I stopped using Ubuntu actually, they've
actually gone out of their way to make raid assembly now difficult,
purposely removing mdraid capability from the default desktop kernel
initrd for no discernible reason.

This leads to major caveats doing raid1 in just about every way now
using ubuntu, meaning you now have to install mdadm from a desktop
image, build the raid manually, trick the installer pre-building the os
filesystem under /target, and then letting it rip with installing,
making sure to fix your mdadm.conf before reboot.  If doing crypto or
lvm, you have to layer in fixing the crypttab file, etc from a vty shell.

This also occurs under the server installer now because the mdadm pkg
isn't default built into their initrd at all, and the debian-installer
dump of the fs doesn't include the raid, so a reboot tends to die unless
added to the chroot install before reboot (surprise!).  This never used
to be an issue prior when it was "just in there" with cryptsetup and
lvm.  Why they made a conscious decision to remove this befuddles me,
other than to say they specifically want to make the desktop *enterprise
unfriendly*.  Apparently they don't want to compete with RedHat and Suse
giving users the option of security or redundancy.

There's also a pretty big chicken and egg issue I found that breaks
setting up ubuntu desktop metapkg after the fact with normal dpkg
processing that breaks recursion of packages if you try to just set it
up during a chroot of the alt/server desktop. Since I have to hit the
shell and fix their crap installer anyways, but there are packages that
will fail to install from desktop packages, insisting on using upstart
itself to install, but doesn't exist yet, leaving the desktop
half-broken, and breaks your repos in an unfixable situation until you
can force remove the package during a "normal" install where upstart is
present.

This is EXACTLY what got me to stop using ubuntu, as my default
installation does this, if nothing else than to optimize around my SSD's
for chunk/block/extent sizing outside defaults for ^2 sector disks.
It'd be great if the installs could auto-detect ssd's to setup
differently, but no distribution does I've found today. It's also funny
about wanting to format pre-formatted disks unless you assemble them in
a certain order, insisting on reformatting your fs (without stride flags
and block sizing I just used with ext).

Surprising Mint Debian has a mode during graphic install that just says
"let me know when you're done assembling your fs under /target to
install", which is optimal, but doesn't setup your fstab, crypttab,
mdadm.conf at all, which most users might freak out on to diy.  It's
still less of a kludge than ubuntu, which ass-u-me's it is intelligent,
and actually isn't.

In any regard, there isn't a good situation to deal with logical-based
disks and enterprise features on about any debian-based desktop
installer since ubuntu killed the alt desktop install and hobbled their
initrd's of the modules by default.

-mb