Debian desktops (Re: SUSE Linux Days Road Tour)

Michael Butash michael at butash.net
Sat Jul 26 12:55:12 MST 2014

Well, the week didn't help that mid-term I had to spend 2 weeks in new
york, but all in all it took me about a week to figure out enough
caveats throwing errors to figure out that:

a) Biggest issue was ati drivers not working beyond 3.15. I forgot how
much video card vendors suck when it comes to linux, especially ATI.
They are still the most featured, at least as far as multi-monitor desktop.

b) Bleeding-edge cpu/southbridge chipset are and always will be
problematic until they get beaten up and shamed in the linux community
for at least a year - expect issues.

And I did, so the issues were of my own doing.  RTFM, or at least the
release notes...

So yeah, aside from that, debian has been so/so, but I'm an old
command-line guy to, so I can fix it usually even if requiring to drop
to a vty.  All the goodness of ubuntu, without having to gut unity every
time to make it work is a good thing.  What has been getting me is
getting all my packages back, and dependency issues.  Much of the good
stuff is of course compiled for ubuntu, and seems to wreak havoc on some
of the testing packages.

Virtualbox for instance, either the default repo or oracle package would
work because of some obscure krb5 symbol missing from packages.  A long
thread from almost 10 years ago on a thread was the only reference, and
led me nowhere.  Then I realized it hadn't pulled in any krb5
dependecies, so added those... Which broke my packages, and removed half
my os in my haste to note what all it was removing with a big list of
packages.  Ugh.

I ended up having to find a bleeding trusty ubuntu libasn1.1 package and
forcing it in (I love dotted decimal notation, but really?) to fix a now
broken dependency, which allowed me to reinstall everything it gutted,
the rest of the krb5 libs, then vbox would work.  And all I wanted was
my goddamn visio app server (aka xp in a vm!)

I've had a few adventures like that in my first week on a debian base.
Other than that, it's been pretty darn solid with Mate. Mate itself has
some quirks, but unlike anything using compiz, doesn't start a steady
destabilization of my video card until it ends up choking the os its own
bile.

One interesting note was watching LibreOffice freak out the GL driver
and start soaking up about a gig of memory every 30 seconds.  Watching
htop, I began to see I was going to lose a good 3 hours worth of work,
and had to begin killing pids, when I found a mate component at the base
somehow in the mix soaking up the memory.  Killing that long enough to
save my work off in Libre worked, and shutting down libre restored
stability.  Ugh.

I think