can't ssh from host to remote

Mon Jul 21 14:27:53 MST 2014

NAT and lack of a routing table entry in the first router... The first
router has no knowledge of the network behind your linksys because it is
NAT'ing and you do not have a route statement in the first router
relating to the network on the second router. The devices behind the
second router can reach devices on the first router because it is
NAT'ing the traffic and also because the second router's default route
sends its traffic to the first router to route.  There are ways around
it such as disabling NAT (I don't think you can do that on the Linksys
router you mentioned) and adding a route statement in the first router.
You would also then have to program the first router to perform NAT for
the second router's LAN network as well. This makes for an overly
complicated setup for a home user that has limited network experience.
Setting up the routers LAN to LAN is the easiest way to resolve your
issue, even though it is not all that simple either.

Gilbert