Cheap Dell Laptops

Jim March 1.jim.march at gmail.com
Fri Jul 18 10:09:27 MST 2014

If we check the CPU specs:

http://ark.intel.com/products/81071/Intel-Celeron-Processor-N2830-1M-Cache-up-to-2_41-GHz

...we see that surpprisingly, it HAS the Intel "VTx" hardware
virtualization
extension.  That means getting a virtual machine running on it for at least
basic stuff will work at reasonable speeds.

If we got to the CPUBench site we see it has a "performance score" of just
under 1,000 which...is...bad-ish but not terrible like some of the Atom
crap.

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/midlow_range_cpus.html

Upshot: you could do real work with that puppy, with a modern Linux distro
and even light virtualization (running a copy of WinXP or another distro as
a VM on it).

Jim