can't ssh from host to remote

Michael Havens bmike1 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 16 21:54:08 MST 2014

okay, so I bought a used computer to do Linux from scratch on. Well, I'm
going to ssh from my primary computer to the new computer but got a
'Connection timed out' error. After googling for a bit I discovered ufw was
to blame.

after I disabled the firewall I could ssh from 192.168.1.101 <parasite> to
192.168.0.4 <host>

the error I got going the other way was the connection timed out error:

ssh mike at 192.168.1.101
ssh: connect to host 192.168.1.101 port 22: Connection timed out

After googling some more I thought perhaps openssh-server wasn't
installed... but it is. So please.... what is the problem? I verifed
openssh-client is installed but I don't know what it could be. Could you
help me out?