gufw/ufw/iptables

Michael Havens bmike1 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 2 02:06:02 MST 2014

Okay, I'm thinking that I should start being concerned about security. I
remember that when I first joined plug that there was pretty consistantly a
thread or two going on monthly about iptables.Well, that/those threads
stoped and nothing has replaced it. I was surfing and happened upon a forum
geared mainly towards windows users with a small Linux section. They keep
saying that all users need to be concerned about security and that if you
are on a buntu system to start ufw. I then remembered MS Kachold walking me
through setting up ufw (thanks Lisa). Now, I have ufw enabled and I set a
rule allowing everything into my home computer  that is sent in on ports 22
and 23 I think these are the ssh & scp ports). The limitation (maybe) of
gufw (the x interface for ufw) is that you can't set a range of addresses
to allow data to be sent from another computer. The wiki for gufw really is
really BAD! (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Gufw)
Can anyone tell me how to set up the range... or at least point me to good
instructions? And then to enable this upon start up I went to Startup
Applications Editor and created a new start up program. Where it saays
'command' I entered 'sudo ufw enable' How should I do it if I'm wrong? How
do I make this a global command?