rsync question -- thanks but ;)

Carruth, Rusty Rusty.Carruth at Smarth.com
Tue Jan 28 09:53:25 MST 2014

>From rsync man page:

	For  remote  transfers,  a  modern
       rsync  uses  ssh  for its communications, but it may have been configured to use a different remote
       shell by default, such as rsh or remsh.

	From  the  user’s perspective, a daemon transfer via a remote-shell connection uses nearly the same
       command-line syntax as a normal rsync-daemon transfer, with the only exception being that you  must
       explicitly  set  the remote shell program on the command-line with the --rsh=COMMAND option.  (Set‐
       ting the RSYNC_RSH in the environment will not turn on this functionality.)  For example:

           rsync -av --rsh=ssh host::module /dest

       I mirror a directory between my "old" and "new" ftp sites with the command:

       rsync -az -e ssh --delete ‾ftp/pub/samba nimbus:"‾ftp/pub/tridge"

       This is launched from cron every few hours.

End of rsync man page extract :-)

To make it so you don't need to enter the password, all you have to do is set it up so that (from the machine you want to initiate the rsync command), you can type 'ssh foo at bar.my.other.computer' and not have to enter the password.  This involves .ssh/authorized_hosts, if I remember right.  Just google for something like 'no password login ssh' or something like that.  (That's what I did 2 weeks ago when I had to do the same thing, so I know the answer is out there, but I don't remember the exact query I used...)

Rusty