Damn ubuntu.

Michael Butash michael at butash.net
Sat Jan 4 15:42:34 MST 2014

So per a prior comment about odd efi-booting asus laptop, I'm still
dealing with getting an os on it.

I installed Ubuntu server 13.10 on it as the desktop installer was
unstable, and installed fine enough.  Now, my kernels are straight
missing most of my drivers for things like my network cards and who
knows what else.  If I install header packages, they are there, but
otherwise mia.

I've never seen such a broken kernel install before, did the initrd
system change on here?  Is there some additional package set it needs
now installed to see an atheros atl1c driver gig nic?  Even the intel
driver for the wlan nic is missing, so it's not just an "atheros"
thing.  It works fine with the server generic kernel's initrd - really
flippin befuddling.

Backstory:

Because ubuntu's desktop installer is so broken and incomplete for
13.10, I had to resort to using server to get my normal disk setup
working using raid, crypto, and lvm.  After wasting a week with the
desktop installer(s), at least I could get this to install clean, aside
from it not creating a crypttab properly on install that consumed my
morning.

This was after spending almost a week trying to make any form of ubuntu
work on it, getting so pissed and spending another few just to learn
Arch, realized that all in all I'd rather have a deb-based system, so
went back again to try server to at least install.  I'm really wondering
why...

Thanks in advance!

-mb